Preferred Doors Offers Tips on Maintaining Your Garage Door
June is Garage Door Safety Month and Preferred Doors is working to increase awareness of the possible hazards of garage doors and automatic opener systems as well as the need for periodic inspection and maintenance to keep them safe. The garage door is the largest moving object in most homes and according to statistics provided by the US Consumer Product Safety Commission and the National Electronic Injury Surveillance System they were responsible for just over 13,000 injuries in 2007.
Garage doors were made safer in 1993 when the Consumer Product Safety Commission passed a law mandating that all garage door openers installed have an auto reversing feature and safety sensors that cause the door to reverse if the door meets an obstruction. However, it is still important to perform regular maintenance checks. Preferred Doors recommends these garage door safety tips to insure garage doors are in proper working order. A garage door should provide many years of safe operation if it is installed, operated, and maintained properly.
- Garage door openers are not toys. Do not stand or walk under moving doors.
- Do not let children play with or use transmitters. Always store out of the reach of children.
- Don’t ignore a squeaky door. Doors should be lubricated monthly.
- Test the balance of the garage door. See owner’s manual on how to perform this.
- Perform a monthly reversal test by laying a 2 X 4 flat and closing the door on it. The door should reverse after striking the board.
- Never place your fingers between the door sections.
- Do a visual inspection of Springs, Rollers, Pulleys, Cables and Tracks.
- Never attempt to adjust your springs. Call Preferred Doors and let a professional do this.
Have a Trained Technician perform annual service on your Garage Door.
To Contact Us:
Preferred Doors, Inc.