Preferred Doors offers the following garage and home safety tip.
Do you sometimes have your car valet parked? If you do, consider securing your garage door remote. If it “disappears” and if your vehicle registration lists your home address, you could have a security issue.
- Never leave the remote control in the car or with a parking attendant. It should be treated like a house key. Consider a keychain remote.
- If your opener does not have rolling-code technology system, be sure to change the manufacturer’s standard access codes on the operator and remote control.
- Keep your blinds, shades, and curtains in their normal position so you do not bring attention to being gone.
- Always lock the door from the garage to the inside of your home. It is a small inconvenience for safety and security.
- Ask a neighbor to park in your driveway so it looks as if someone is home.